Monday, July 23, 2012

One Heart, One Purpose


I know it has been awhile since my last post and I apologize. There has been much going on here in Thailand and not enough time in the day to write about it. In this last week alone, we have had a Chinese girl come to know Christ (Praise God!), played soccer with other churches in Bangkok, visited three different schools, celebrated a birthday, helped with English classes, fellowshipped with many Thai people, and many other things. It’s crazy how much we have been able to do in just a short amount of time!
                Well, we are at the halfway point of our stay in Thailand. I know I can speak for the whole team when I say this stinks. We have all fallen in love with Thailand and its people and are not ready to go home. Luckily, we still have three more weeks here. This trip has honestly been one of the best experiences of my life. I have learned so much in these past three weeks through missions training school and hanging out with the LifePoint BKK team and the other interns. God has truly blessed me by surrounding me with such amazing and God-fearing people. We seriously have the most awesome group of Christ followers here in Bangkok and it has been such an honor to serve alongside of them. Not only have I learned a lot from the Americans here, but our Thai friends have also taught me so much more than I could ever learn in the States. The Thai people who attend LifePoint and the ones who serve with our Thai partner church, New Vision Baptist Church, have had such an impact on my life. They seriously are the sweetest and most humble people I have ever met in my life. Their hearts for the Lord and for their people are so inspiring. These people are truly the hands and feet of God here in Thailand and they have touched my heart to the core. I cannot put into words how much love I have for these people and what they are doing for God’s Kingdom. They have made so many sacrifices (family, friends, job, etc.) because of their faith, and honestly we (as in American Christians) can learn a lot from these people about what it means to truly live for Christ.
                God has really been speaking to me this week about unity in the church. Several times during our morning devotional s and bible studies, we have discussed unity in the church and how it looked in the early church. Over and over again, the disciples stressed the importance of fellowship with other believers. In Acts 4:32, it says that all who believed in Christ were of one heart and soul…and they had everything in common. I never quite understood this verse until I came to Thailand. Thai culture is so different from American culture, even when it comes to Thai Christians and American Christians. As I mentioned earlier, we have a Thai partner church called New Vision and we have been doing a lot of things with them these past three weeks. We spent this last weekend with them in Amphawa, and on Friday night we had a meeting to debrief about the day. Every one of the interns talked about how it has been awesome serving with the New Vision team and how the unity between New Vision and LifePoint has been so great. One of the New Vision team members then expressed how God has given us the same heart as believers and, therefore, we have the same purpose in life, which is to bring God glory. Acts 4:32 finally clicked in my head after he said that. No matter how different our teams are, we all have the same heart and same mission in life—bring God glory and make disciples. It is truly a beautiful thing to share a heart’s calling with your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, and it is my prayer that the church as a whole will be like the first church in Acts—be of one heart and soul.
                We have three more weeks in Thailand and I cannot wait to see what else God is going to do in this place!! Please be praying for all of us here. Love you all!!

God bless,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment